Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas Gifts

It is the shortest day of the year, the first day of winter, winter solstice. All the trees are naked once again and my husband had just finished blowing all the autumn leaves away. It has been warmer (70’s) during the weekend, quiet opposite in the East Coast which was having a snow storm.

I was looking for some old pictures on my drawers last night and I came across this book of S. Peck. On the first page was my signature, the date and the place where I bought the book (I always do that). I had the book 9 years ago. I can still remember how that book changed my life in many respects. It was December and a first Christmas away from my family. The ironic part though was that turned out to be the best Christmas I ever had. I’m talking about the gift of recognizing God’s grace and the gift of understanding, inner freedom and inner peace. It was all very humbling! It wasn’t simple at that time though. It was both a death and a life. A death of my old self and a welcoming joy of my new self- a life that promises bigger things. It was an awe-inspiring experience of a blessing of a grateful heart. To say I was in seventh heaven is a celebrated understatement.

I appreciate all sorts of figurative lessons I’ve learned during the past years following that Christmas. I thought I’d share some of it with you:

1. My definition of success changes from “wanting to be significant” to “doing significant things”.

2. I learned how to treasure “the moment”, not to rush away and just enjoy the richness of the experience whether it’s painful or joyful. There’s always beauty hidden in all circumstance and those that contemplate on each beauty find treasures of power that will long withstand.

3. Attitude is everything. Ever since I started changing the way I look at myself, others and the things around me; everything had changed too. I was able to separate myself from others. And to realize that I’m not perfect made me more tolerant unto others.

4. I realized that no matter how heavy the burden is, it will pass. And I count it as a blessing too- just like a gold is tested on fire and so is our character.

5. That I’m always a work in progress. I need to keep working on me. I need to be always ready for adopting, adapting and reloading. Life is too short for complains.

6. That there’s nothing more powerful than to be committed to truly care. It cultivates emotional sanctuaries that create a better chance of touching both myself and others.

It’s been said that every road leads HOME at Christmas, a bridge under which the river of time flows. May you take time to remain on that bridge- recalling your Christmas past, relishing your Christmas present and hoping for more blissful Christmas future! I want to take this occasion to wish each and every one of you a very Merry Christmas and God bless us all!
Shawie

11 Grateful Heart's Words:

The Pope said...

Very inspiring, I love it... all the six points you have shared... especially para 4... the same words i always tell to my friends, no matter how heavy the burden is always treat it as a blessing.

Life is Beautiful, let's us count our blessings in the coming of Infant Jesus.

From Palipasan, I am wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and Prosperous New Year!!!

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Wow, I've never seen such an awe inspiring statements such as these. You have truly found the key to lasting peace and happiness in life and yes, we are all works in progress. The gifts you received on that fateful day and the succeeding gifts that God has so generously bestowed upon you have molded you into a better and more caring person, able to empathize with others and able to share your gift of discoveries to them. May the Lord bless you more this Christmas, you and your loved ones. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year friend. Thanks for this most wonderful article. God bless you all always.

Alicia said...

These are great. Very wise counsel!! These are the REAL gifts of life. Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas Shawie!

StarMars said...

Positive thinking broken down into 6 points. I love how you wrote "I need to keep working on me." Such a though-provoking line.

The Fitness Diva said...

Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year to you and yours. ;)
All the best!

Mhar's Display said...

Christmas to me is God's giving hope to mankind.

Marms

Avatar said...

Wow, I love the Christmas candle with decorations photo. A truest happy person is not the richest person, he's the person who has found inner freedom and inner peace. It's great you have got them. I'm still on my way to have them. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

vicy said...

Happy New Year sis..How are you??God Bless!!

**"Liza"** said...

Hi stopping by..By the way I want to let you know Im having a blog giveaway. Come check it out if you have time..:)

Warren Baldwin said...

Hello. It's been a while. Hope you had a good Christmas and New Year.

I like your list, esp #1.

vicy said...

Was here today..Would you mind adding my other blog www.babiesareangels.com? Please let me know so I can add you there..Thank you